Facts and Figures
MAMMA MIA! Stage Show
- MAMMA MIA! has been seen by over 65 MILLION PEOPLE worldwide in 50 productions in 16 different languages.
- MAMMA MIA! has grossed OVER $4 BILLION at the Box Office.
- MAMMA MIA! has premiered in more than 440 major cities worldwide - faster than any other musical in history.
- MAMMA MIA! is currently in its 25th year since the first production opened in London's West End on 6 April 1999, and is now playing at the Novello Theatre.
- MAMMA MIA! is the ninth longest running show in Broadway history, where it ran from 2001 – 2015.
- The London production opened on 6 April 1999 and is now in its 25th year.
- Since its premiere, MAMMA MIA! has been seen by over 9 million people and has played over 8,000 performances in London.
- MAMMA MIA! originally opened at the Prince Edward Theatre in 1999, and on 3 June 2004 transferred to the Prince of Wales Theatre. There MAMMA MIA! holds the record for the highest attendance in a single week, with 10,760 people seeing the show over 10 performances w/c 26 December 2011. On 18 August 2007 MAMMA MIA! became the longest ever running show at the Prince of Wales Theatre after 1,327 performances at the venue.
- MAMMA MIA! moved to the Novello Theatre on 6 September 2012. In January 2019, MAMMA MIA! set a new record for the highest ever weekly gross in the history of the Novello Theatre.
- MAMMA MIA! is the 3rd longest running musical in West End history.
MAMMA MIA! The Movie
- The three women who created the worldwide smash stage hit – creator/producer Judy Craymer, writer Catherine Johnson and director Phyllida Lloyd – repeated their roles bringing MAMMA MIA! to the big screen with Universal Pictures. MAMMA MIA! The Movie stars Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Christine Baranski, Julie Walters, Amanda Seyfried and had its worldwide premiere in London on 30 June 2008, in the city where the musical had its premiere ten years previously.
- In 2008 MAMMA MIA! The Movie became the highest grossing live-action musical film of all time.
- On its release, MAMMA MIA! The Movie made history as the highest grossing movie of all time at the UK and Irish box office. It was also the highest grossing film ever released in Hungary, Iceland and Norway.
- On its release, it was the highest grossing musical film worldwide and was the No.1 musical of all time in 44 countries: including UK, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Australia and Korea. It opened at No.1 in 35 countries.
- It was the No.1 film of 2008 in 16 countries: UK, Norway, Sweden, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Iceland, Holland, Finland, Germany, New Zealand, Portugal, Slovenia, South Africa and Cyprus.
- On its release it was the No.1 Universal film of all time in 16 countries: including UK, Austria, Portugal, Sweden and Korea.
- It spent the most weeks at No. 1 for any film in 2008. In Japan, it was Top 10 for 6 weeks in a row, where it achieved the biggest opening of all time for a musical film.
MAMMA MIA! Here We Go Again
- Opened in July 2018 and is the most successful live musical movie sequel of all time.
- In the UK - currently the 2nd highest grossing opening day for a musical; 2nd highest grossing film of 2018; 3rd highest grossing musical and Universal’s 2nd highest grossing film ever. Ireland’s biggest film of the year to date and also the 2nd biggest (non-animation) musical in Ireland (behind MAMMA MIA! The Movie).
- Internationally - opened No.1 in 26 markets and the biggest musical opening day/weekend of all time in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Hungary.
- In December 2018, MAMMA MIA! HERE WE GO AGAIN sold over 1 million DVDs in the UK in less than a month, the first Universal Pictures title to do so in five years. The DVD was also the number 1 comedy of 2018 in the US; was number 1 for seven weeks straight in the UK and is the biggest release in the Nordics in the last 2 years.
MAMMA MIA! Music
MAMMA MIA! CAST RECORDINGS
- The MAMMA MIA! Original Cast Recording is consistently in the Billboard Catalog Charts. The MAMMA MIA! Special Edition Cast Recording has gone Double Platinum in several territories around the world.
- The MAMMA MIA! German-language Cast Recording is MAMMA MIA!’s first foreign language Cast Recording and entered the German charts at No. 3 after its first selling week which is the highest chart position ever for a musical recording’s first weeks. The recording is Double Platinum.
- The MAMMA MIA! Dutch-language Cast Recording is MAMMA MIA!’s second foreign language Cast Recording and went straight to No. 1 in its very first week in the charts - the first ever musical to achieve this in Holland.
- The MAMMA MIA! Spanish-language Cast Recording is MAMMA MIA!’s third foreign language Cast Recording and has previously sold more copies than any other Spanish Cast Recording from a musical in Spain. The recording is on-sale in the US and Mexico as well as Spain. The MAMMA MIA! Spanish-language cast recording was re-released in 2015.
- The MAMMA MIA! Swedish-language Cast Recording is MAMMA MIA!’s fourth foreign Cast Recording and has gone Triple Platinum in Sweden.
- The MAMMA MIA! Korean-language Cast Recording is MAMMA MIA!’s fifth foreign Cast Recording and has gone Platinum in Korea.
- The MAMMA MIA! French-language Cast Recording is MAMMA MIA!’s sixth foreign Cast Recording.
- The MAMMA MIA! Chinese-language Cast Recording is MAMMA MIA!’s seventh foreign Cast Recording.
- The MAMMA MA! Japanese Cast Recording is MAMMA MIA!’s eighth foreign language cast recording.
MAMMA MIA! THE MOVIE SOUNDTRACK
- The MAMMA MIA! The Movie Soundtrack released July 2008 and became the biggest album released by Universal in 2008. It was the UK’s biggest-selling soundtrack of that year and in the US marked the highest charting week ever in history for an ABBA recording. It reached no. 1 on Billboard’s Top 200 chart and achieved Platinum status after only five weeks of release in the US.
MAMMA MIA! Here We Go Again SOUNDTRACK
- The MAMMA MIA! Here We Go Again Soundtrack is certified Platinum in the UK and Ireland, it has also gone Gold in Australia, Austria, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway and Sweden. It spent 5 weeks at No. 1 in the official UK chart as well as 14 weeks in the official top 10. It is the 4th bestselling album of 2018 in the UK. It has been No. 1 on the iTunes album charts in over 40 markets and has topped the charts on the Official Album Charts in 7 global markets. Global album streams are at 575 million.